Pages

24 February 2008


Weekend awesomeness...

This is it- what I have been waiting for since about November- Its 'warm' !!!!!!

This weekend's activities have revolved *mostly* around the two things- training and some final studying for my upcoming dental boards this next week.

Rode yesterday for my usual Saturday ride. I look forward to my Satruday easy rides because I am usually pretty shelled from the previous two days of hard workouts. Believe me, I love my geeky stuff, but I love having some recovery rides built into my week that all I have to do is just be on a bike for the absolute fun of it. It is a nice contrast from staring at w, hr,c , etc. etc., and keeps me mentally fresh for those rides. Took a bit to get out the door seeing that it was still pretty darn cold in my book, but I had a blast once I was out there. Just played around in the hills north of Omaha for a few hours, and headed back in. It was great to see Bryan out riding- we chatted for a bit then went our separate ways. It is always nice to see a familiar face when you are out riding by yourself. I love riding my road bike because I don't have any computers on the bike- it's just me and the road. I felt surprisingly really strong on my ride, even though I was just taking it easy and my legs were pretty trashed from a long M pace run in the gym the day before (I don't know if it is the heat of the gym, or the workout, but those runs take the life out of me). It almost caught me by surprise that I actually felt strong on a bike, since that hasn't happened in a really, really long time. No numbers to back it up, just the feel of the road. I don't know if it was just the fun of being out, or (*gasp*) this training thing might actually be working, but it felt great.

This morning was breakfast and a ride with planned with a few classmates. The last minute bail out rate was 3 out of 4 attendees. So, as I was sitting in my kitchen thinking I was going to be like the girl stood up by her date on prom night, my buddy Andy showed up ravenous after his long run at the gym, and was absoluely delighted that he was going to get everyone elses food! Good for us, bad for them, because I had stirred up my best batch of pancakes ever made- pineapple, orange, banana, mango, oatmeal, whole wheat pancakes ( I have no idea how all of that stuff fit in the pancakes and they still stayed together in the pan). We loaded up and headed out the door. Time for some riding.

Andy had an easy spin still planned for today, and was going to join me for the first half hour or so, and I was going to continue on to do my usual 4h ride, followed by some runnng/ lifiting time at the gym. I was really excited to ride and see how my new postition was going to feel on my TT bike on the road, it was good to be out, and got in some good riding time. However, the sore throat, chills, and aches that I woke up with this morning and chose to ignore because I cannot possibly be getting sick one more time this winter were not 'spinning themselves out' like I thought they would. I felt crappier and crappier as the ride went on; I was so mad. This is the last workout in this training block, and all I need is this one day to a) actually ride outside for a long ride in the beautiful sunshine, and b) finish things out and head into a recovery week. Wasn't going to happen. After debating in my mind, I reluctantly decided that it would not be in my best interest to slog through my training with absolutley no quality for no other reason than putting those hours in the books, and likely go into taking boards feeling like crap. Time of death of the workout called, and I headed back in the direction of home.

As disappointing as it is to fall short of a workout, and as crappy as I now feel both shivering and sweating under the covers, I am still happy that I at least I did get a bit of riding in on this beautiful sunny day. It just lifts the spirits being out there on the road with good company.

1 comment:

bryan said...

very late comment here -- great to see you on the road. I got excited when I saw someone coming up that climb. I figured there was no way I'd be the only one out there.