Pages

16 February 2008


Evolution of the aero position...

A photographic novella...

A little history here... First of all, I will just say that I love tweaking with my bike positions. Yes, I take pictures of myself on my bike- a bit narcissistic, yet pragmatic. Ever since I first rode a road bike, I have committed myself to a 'work in progress' that will hopefully become closer and closer to perfection, similar to how a mathematical limit infinitely approaches a given value in plane. Let me establish a point, and start by saying that I know that I will never have an aero position like the Bjorn Supremacy.

I know that I will never live up to the potential of my bike, and I know that I am not even that talented at riding a bike. However, I do know for a fact that every bit that I can optimize my position on the bike is free speed, and let's face it, who wants to work harder than they need to.

Last season, I took quite a bit of time to perfect my aero position. I allowed myself to adapt step by step, changing one variable at a time to achieve methodical optimal power and minimal perceived drag. I swapped out parts, even took a few trips to Lowe's to purchase different bolts and whatnot to change my whole front end and take my elbow pads as low as possible. The product was worth it. I found the Profile Design Carbon X aerobar pretty horrible until I swapped out a bunch of parts- now I think it is the best thing ever (but I guess i can't really say much since I won it).

My goal was to be able to be comfortable in my aero position for the 112 mile IM bike leg. I took the attitude that I could make myself adapt to anything. And I did. Somewhat like when you first start riding regularly. At first, you can't get over how badly your taint hurts after one a ride, but then after 2 weeks, you are fine. Bring on the miles.

After Ironman Lake Placid, my last important race of the season, I took a few weeks away from the bike, then put in my fun, easy miles in the fall on my road bike. My poor TT bike was collecting dust for a while until I took it out for a ride in the late fall. Whoa- apparently I really was adapted to my position during that summer. I caved, relaxed my position up (a good and bad reason not to cut one's steerer tube) and rode my TT bike about once a week in the fall.

So, being sort of lazy, I have used that position for a while. I am doing the majority of my rides on my TT bike right now. It is super duper comfy, and there is a reason why- I am pretty much like a sail- even I will admit it is downright pathetic. So, like any good science experiment, our start point is established.

I previously wasn't going to be racing long on my TT bike until June- I wasn't rushed to optimize my position because right now my head angle is perfect to watch TV on the trainer :); however, I will now be doing a half iron at the end of March.

#%%^, I'd better get this figured out again, starting NOW.

So this past week, I tweaked during rides. First step was to take the front end down again- to where I was dialed in last season. It felt low, but doable. Here is the product.

With all of my aftermarket modifications on my aero bars, I minimized the adjustability of my elbow pads and thought that their position was ultimately fixed short of some epoxy and zip ties, but I figured out another way to get them angled a bit more optimally. I present the result, and the position.


Now today, I tweaked the saddle position (haven't touched height)- I was happy for a while (first photo), but found myself rounding my back more after I was on the bike over an hour(second photo).


hmmm. Still a work in progress. Comments, suggestions, and criticisms welcome.

And yes, I realize how nerdy this whole ordeal is.

2 comments:

Flanders said...

Hi Lindsey,
Looks pretty good. but don't sacrifice power for aero. The more comfortable you are the more power you can put out. But if you can keep a good position and run well off the bike great, don't change a thing. Your position will always be a work in progress but you have done a good job. Good luck this year and we'll see you on the road.
Jim

bryan said...

Your tweaking has made me feel woefully inadequate. Thanks for that. I attach the carbon aero bars and move my seat up. That's pretty much it.

sigh.