Pages

26 February 2008


exam report:
national dental boards, written examination, part II, day 1

Felt pretty good with the studying that I have gotten in, and went into today feeling about as calm as I have ever walked into a Prometric testing center. After fighting a febrile illness for the past few days, I have unfortunately become reliant on NSAIDs and whatnot to keep me from shivering/ sweating/ couging all the time and today was no exception. Not the best way to take boards, but I guess sometimes this is what the world gives you. The worst part is that I didn't want to infect and/ or disturb everyone in the testing room, but I got sick outside of the window to reschedule the exam, and needed to show up today and take the test if I wanted to pass my boards.

Showed up today at the Prometric center, pretty buzzed off of the cold medicine that it took to get me out of bed and not shivering, explained my situation to the proctor in my squeaky barely audible voice, and asked if I could at least bring in some tea or hot water in a nondescript cup so I don't cough during the exam. No go; however, I was offered the private test taking room. Wow! I was a little reluctant at first, thinking it was going to be like the study rooms in a library where 90% of the time the person in there before you ripped a big fart before they closed the door. Once I got going, I fell in love with this special ed. test taking room! I got a full sized desk- I could even put my feet up on it while taking the exam, spaciousness, and no disturbances besides myself. They also had these awesome cinnamon candies that were perfect to keep me from coughing. After a while, the room got really cold, and I got my down vest and hat from the lobby. I was later told to take off of my hat because the cameras 'could not recognize me.' OK. I asked if they could do something about the temperature in the room then- bingo!- no problem, I got a space heater. So eventually, here I am, sitting in my own private sauna, taking national dental boards. I almost didn't want it to end so I needed to go out to my cold car in the parking lot.

So, between the private sauna, cinnamon candies, and free coffee in the lobby, I was pretty stoked about the whole testing situation. I just hope that the cold medicine didn't dumb me down even more than usual. No matter the result, day one is done!

No comments: