Pages

27 February 2008


an intersting observation...

So, as mentioned, I have been pretty sick the past few days. Feeling much better today, but for the past few days I have been sick sick- like, in Ferris Bueller's day off, the scene where Cameron Frye is sitting in bed staring off into space with a pile of medicines and tissues- sick.

So, this has meant that I haven't trained since Sunday. Yes, I am going on three days without training, and besides driving me crazy, has brought up an interesting observation. I really don't know what to do with my time. Seriously.

For example, Sunday, I came home from my ride early, which subsequently left me with the majority of the afternoon open in addition to the evening. I don't remember the last Sunday that I have had the whole afternoon available since I am usually doing a long workout that takes up the majority of my day on Sundays- riding, running, some gym time. I slept for a while, then woke up, then studied for a little bit, surfed the 'net, I tried to watch TV but there is nothing on the 73 channels on basic cable, then I didn't really know what to do. I wanted to wash my bikes, but didn't feel well enough to do that. So, it got me thinking- what do people who don't train do with their time? I am serious. For example, what happens on 'normal' weekend days that does not involve swimming, biking, and running, and the usual morning coffee leading up to such events. I do not know.

I came up with the following ideas- sleep (but I am sleeping so much, and training so little that I can't sleep anymore), shop, eat, housework, watch TV, read, and drink. That is about it. I also realize that people with families like to spend time with their kids, spouse, etc, but neither apply to me.

So, I often get the question: 'How do you find time to train like that?' Before, I would just respond with answers such as 'I guess I just make time,' or 'you just make time for the things that you like to do...' Blah, blah, blah. Now I am going to get to the bottom of this and just return the question and say 'what do you do with the time that you would be training?' I'm sure that will fly over well.

So, if anyone does know what people do with their time, please inform me. I'm really bored, but hoping to be back in the swing of things tomorrow- going to try a spin on the trainer.

2 comments:

William and Cindy Haynes said...

Thanks for some great writing. I'm training for a triathlon in October, after losing 97 lbs since last October. I was looking for some writing to inspire and I really enjoy your writing style. I'm hoping one day my blog is a bit more insightful... Keep up the great work, and swimming, and biking, and running... - William, Chiang Rai, Thailand

bryan said...

hey -- travel safe. I meant to put that comment up a few days ago.