Pages

23 February 2008



So, this is what the fuss is about...

After being in Omaha for four years, I had heard of this interesting tradition only taking place during lent called a fish fry. Now, don't think that there aren't fish fries where I grew up- WI; however, my connotation of a fish fry was the following:
- venue: some sort of elks club, american legion, or 'supper club' of sorts- during the whole year- not just lent
- hours: from 3:30-6:00 to accomodate to the 'schedules' of the attendees (see below)
- crowd: blue hair and bald heads
- fare: beer battered cod, tartar sauce, white bun, 'slaw, and weak decaf coffee

So, I keep hearing about people attending fish fries in Omaha, and wonder what they are doing at these venues hanging out with, er, old people at 4:00. So, last night I finally attended an Omaha fish fry, at a church, at 7:30 at night, and found out why these things are awesome!

I pulled up to the Holy Name Catholic church to meet my friends Bob, Greg, Adam, and Pat in line already, and smelled the intoxicating aroma of beer, smoke, and grease in the air- I knew it was going to be a good time.

So, the whole event was a wait in line outside, and then through the catacombs of the church- literally. I felt like I was at Disney World, where you make it through the cattle chutes of one building, thinking you are at the ride, but actually just have another building of cattle chutes to go through. This is the ultimate sign that whatever you are waiting for must be 'worth it.' Along the way, you are greeted by various priests giving out beer. At the end, you have all you can eat batter fried cod, fries, slaw, and don't forget- the white bread with butter. And to be honest- it was some pretty darn good fried fish. Tender yet firm, just the right amount of batter, and hot and fresh from the fryer. All that one can ask for.

The only downside was God's wrath on my belly from eating all of that fried food and beer- yet totally worth it.

And 'observing Catholocism' for a few hours last night must have worked, because it is sunny and 'warm enough' to ride outside today. Yay! I'm thinking it might be in my best interest to try to work off this fried food gut bomb..

2 comments:

AudreyO said...

Oh my gosh, I loved fried fish and cole slaw. I remember my dad taking us for fish and slaw on Saturday's when I was a kid.

bryan said...

Pardon me while I say 'yuck.'

good thing I'm not catholic.