Pages

13 March 2008

Calling a meeting of the minds...

I realize that this may be 'old news,' but I found out tonight that Lincoln Plating Stage Race is no longer- it is meerly a RR and crit, no stages involved. Needless to say, I am very bummed, and the race definitely lost its 'sparkle' on my calendar since I won't even get a chance to defend my previous year's title. There is something about the stage race aspect that I loved about that race. I know that it hurts to TT then RR on the same day, but you know what, I sort of liked it.

Now, I have dabbled in bike racing- that is it. I race cat 4 woman, and wouldn't even call myself experienced; however, this incident brings up an interesting idiosyncrasy of bike racing- sticking to the norm.

I realize that as athletes, we are all creatures of habit in some way, and that cycling is a sport deeply rooted in tradition and an overall resistance to change. I am not saying that this is good or bad, just an observation. It seems as though every race is set up in a very similar fashion as far as distances and disciplines- with the beloved TT often first to the chopping block.

So, what I was thinking is to come up with stages that are better, new, different, something to test all aspects of a cyclist, even if it may even test a *gasp*- weakness. I'm not talking hand to hand combat, an elimination challenge, or an agro-craig here (although...) - I'm talking about a new twist on a stage race.

Some thoughts...

1) a 100 mile or 100K time trial- what I would like to call the ultimate test of endurance. If anything, this would allow everyone to find their critical power. Ideally, this would take place on a pancake flat course, with a mild crosswind- no headwind here. To succeed, one must be spot on with pacing, endurance, nutrition, mental toughness, and also taint toughness to withstand hours on end in the aero position.

2) 1K time trial- this would be to promote the intermingling of track cyclists. From a standing start, this would test everyone's sprinting ability. Nothing more, nothing less. Just a true all out effort.

3) Net downhill road race. Keep it of traditional distance. This way, the race is more of a test of strategy and tactics, and less of a race of fitness.

4) Short road race- I'm thinking 10- 20 miles here, this way, it can be ridden more like a team time trial with the whole peleton.

1 comment:

bryan said...

That's new news to me: I just found out this afternoon. I guess it gives me more time to get ready for the first TT, which will be the state TT in May. I was looking forward to seeing where I stood in the race of truth, though. And I got a new helmet! Damn!

I wouldn't mind a regular TT or crit series in or around Omaha, though. Maybe alternate weeks or something -- it'd be a big step toward more competitive racers, especially in late July and August.

But a 100K TT? Ummm ... nah.