Pages

21 December 2007



Embrace the TREADMILL...

Let me preface this with the fact that I used to HATE the treadmill. It was the dreadmill. I would do anything NOT to go on the treadmill. I would run in rain, sleet, snow, icy sidewalks, just about killing myself to make it out the door. I am tough, right? In the winter, I would throw on my yak traks, and run through anything. I remember running on sheer ice, 2 feet of snow (yes, it was up past my knees- I use the term 'run' pretty loosely in this instance), and rainy downpour in the cold and dark. I would go to an indoor track before even thinking about stepping on a gerbil wheel. I would run around in circles smelling that odor of recycled tires that is only reminiscent of the horror days of P.E The only time I went on a treadmill was when I got paid to do it. Literally.

Last winter I started using the treadmill out of sheer pragmatics. It was quicker, and I got the time in that I needed to. It worked, but I still didn't like it. It was meerly time in the bank.

This week, I realized what has happened since the cold, dark, days of winter has set in... I have fallen in love with treadmill running.


The treadmill has offered me something that I could never get outside... THE PERFECT WORKOUT.

I write this after completing my long run after I got into town from Madison and traveling/ interviewing all day. I headed to the trusty north town YMCA, walk past all of the 12 year olds playing guitar hero in the lounge (sitting on a couch, mind you, I give them a negative 100 in style points) and set up my 'home' for the next 100 minutes. Water, heart rate, towel, tunes, TV, fans, MPH, calories, time, lap spits- its all there. I proceed to perfectly execute my run for the evening. Everything was timed down to the second- warm up, main run/ workout (8x10m M pace), cool down. Flawless. Pace was spot on. No fading, no excuses. No ice to say you slowed down for, no traffic lights to give you those unplanned rest breaks, no exhaust fumes to breathe. The treadmill does not lie. It is the cold, hard, facts staring you right back in your face. Just saying 'I dare you.' During my last push to the end, I knew that I had met my goal for the preceeding 100 minutes. I know for a fact that I am running faster, longer, and at a lower heart rate than I ever have before.

And I have this all to thank to, my reconciled friend, the treadmill.

2 comments:

Matthew Pavlovich said...

Dolph Lundgran(Ivan Drago circa 1988 Rocky IV) did not use a treadmill. Instead he ran around a 200 m track and punched a speed bag. I wonder...I he would have used a treadmill, would he have had the fitness to beat rocky?

bryan said...

Crazy talk. Pure crazy talk.