Pages

24 November 2006

Well, in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I got in my 75 min tempo ride to warm up for the feasting in the afternoon. It was great to be back in the roads in WI that have become so familiar over the years. I needed to stay on the rolling hills for my tempo ride and save the climbs for my long ride. I took the route that headed up through Holmen and east into some of the coulees. My legs were burning, but I thought about how my training has fallen into a 'comfort zone' this past year. I have pushed the envelope on what 'far' is. I have turned 'far' into something that used to be a couple hours to something that if it doesnt hit thr triple digits, it may not even count as a workout. I can ride a bike all day at a nice, steady, respectable speed, and I can run all day at a respectable pace but that it is. (don't ask me about the swimming- I ahve given up on that). I can go ride my bike for hours and it no longer produces the fatigue in which it once did- sure, my legs may be a little sore the next day or so, but not the terrible legs on fire can't walk up stairs that I had once come to thrive on. Bottom line is that I need to reevaluate my training and now focus on defining what 'hard' is. Hard is no longer defined by a distance or time, but an overall effort.

Once again, the beautiful sights got me thinking and I couldn't help but think of some of the things I am thankful for (a little cheesy seeing that it is Thanksgiving and all- but if not today, when?). The past couple of weeks have been really hard in the sense that some people were blatantly treating me less than a friend and couldn't help but think what is my critial error as a person that I deserved to be treated that way. I really am not sure who is a friend anymore and a lot of things needed to be sorted out. Bottom line is that it made me realize how thankful I am for the true friends that I have and for the wonderful people I have in my life first and foremost especially my family. I did come up with a list of my favorite things in life- some are invaluable, some are materialistic (and I am not ashamed of). Here is the start of the ongoing list (in no particular order):

1. eating a good meal with good company- quite possibly one of the best things in life and one of the reasons I love to cook
2. that moment in which you realized you have just gone outside of your comfort zone
3. a long, sustained hug
4. wool socks
5. waking up early in the morning when the world is so still and quiet
6. staying up late at night
7. a good cup of coffee
8. walking around in underwear
9. animal companionship
10. pirate jokes
11. being woken up by doggie kisses (can you tell I am at home?) (hence the picture of my doggie, Rugbie)
12. running during a snowfall (especially when it crunches under your feet)
13. that overwhelming feeling of warmth when you come in from the cold
14. live music
15. heated blankets
16. good times with good company
17. a fire
18. a crisp fall day

No comments: