Pages

23 September 2008

The elusive perfect workout...

So, I don't have much going on in my life besides work and training until Nov 1. All work and no play makes me a dull girl. Oh well. I may be dull right now, but it will hopefully make me a fast(er) ironman! :)

So today I had my usual Tuesday fun- 1:30 of some pretty tough bike intervals followed by a runoff of 30 min. In this mess was some short z3 work to warmup, 3x12min @ z 4-5 (5'), and 2x4'(3') @ z5. In other words a lot of pretty hard stuff spent pretty close to or above FTP. Intervals are a love hate thing to me, I like doing them because they push me out of my comfort zone and I like the feeling of accomplishment achieved in such a short duration of a ride, but you know, they're work. Normally they get done, they hurt a lot, and they are what they are. Today, for some reason, the numbers just came- I felt great on the bike!! Don't get me wrong, my RPE was the same, I still had snot hanging from my nose, I still tasted that little bit of vomit at the end of each session, and every duration felt like forever, but today, my legs just said- sure! we can do that!! A rare feeling, but one that was savored like a fine wine or the bloom of an orchid due to the exclusivity and rarity of the experience. The experience that we chase after for an entire season hoping that we can elucidate what creates this beyond hoping that the planets and stars align to our favor. This bike was followed by the weightless runoff around the neighborhood- again, felt great!

notes taken on today (to hopefully replicate this...):
- food: b-fast, drink of orange juice (for Fe supplement), greek yogurt c/ granola, lychee black tea, multivit, vit C pill, vit E pill, Fe pill, zinc, ecchinacea (can you tell that I am determined not to get sick for IMFL :)...) lunch: Trader Mings (Joe's) kung pao chicken wrap, plum, pre ride- small handful of fruit snacks (hey, I think its the same as a gel!), H2O for the ride
- pre ride: 15 min nap
- weather: around 80, sunny- wore tri race kit c/ arm warmers to work out any kinks before this weekends race rehearsal
- setup: front training rim, rear H3 due to rear training tyre needing replacement, wicked fast 11-21 (or 23?) cassette to keep up steam on flat/ downhill sections and to make sure I can only keep a cadence of 60 on anything that resembles a hill. :)
- finally dialed in on a saddle height position this last week after much change- much higher now, and much more comfy aero, working great so far, and would never guess that I would feel good in this position.

So, that's it, I have finally become a real tri- geek by only talking about MY training on MY blog, and topping it off with talking about MY food. AHHH!!

No comments: