Pages

25 June 2008

Hy-Vee triathlon RR:
- At first it felt a little funny getting ready for the first tri of the season, then I was back in my element, found my official 'packing checklist for going to a triathlon' amongst the remaining boxes of stuff to be unpacked in my office. My fool proof list to accommodate for my scatter brained nature before racing. Got everything ready, cleaned the bike, popped on the H3s, and headed out the door for a nice road trip to DesMoines. Got into town at 3:59 and was able to run in to meet up with Andy and Rick for the 4:00 required pre race briefing/ propaganda show. Got the swag bag, realized Andy's car's parking brake broke in the 'on' position (not good), and left the car to drop off all of the transition goods at various locations around town. Picked up Dave, got some Jimmy Johns, and settled in for a good nights sleep at the Rodeway ghetto inn. Oh wait, we needed to be up at 3am to get to transition by 4am. Had a few canned 'double shot' coffees on ice, and finally felt ready to go.

Swim: Without swim training, go figure, I was slower. Oh well- it was an interesting experiment on my part and I got to know my body better. Conclusion of the experiment is that lack of swimming means It takes me a long time to warm up in the water. On a mental note, I was confident with my skills and the race until I got in the water. Then I thought- 'what was I thinking that I could do this after avoding a pool like the plague?' My lack of training haunted me and I literally needed to pop my head up once, look around, and question what I was doing. I then told myself to htfu, remind myself that I have done two ironmans, and focus on the good, efficient, relaxed form that I have worked on all winter. Second half was great- I enjoyed the rest of my swim, for it was a beautiful morning and the water temp was perfect. As far as water quality, fecal coloform does not scare me; I grew up swimming in the Mississippi almost every day.

Bike: Fun course, more challenging than the pancake + 1 hill of last year. Happy with the fact that I averaged about 10 watts higher than last year; however my time was slower. I'll take it. I saw the Kim West himself out on the course in his requisite devil costume, and popped him a wheelie!

Run: I have been working on a lot of intensity with my running all winter and spring very diligently and planned on using that for this race. For the whole run, I asked myself if I could be running any faster, and made sure that answer was no. In other words, kept the rpe where it needed to be. Although a hilly course, my plan still produced dismal results. A little disappointing to still chug out a snails pace run split. The reality of actually training hard, really executing oneself, and still sucking is a pretty big chip to swallow. I am still happy with being out there doing what I love to do and executing a solid race overall.

After the race, got cleaned up, had some good food, finally fixed Andy's car, and headed back to Madison. Overall it was a very fun weekend. I am pretty sure it got me re energized for this season and hopefully jerked me out of this slump that I have been in with training. As far as I am concerned, mission accomplished.


Other side notes on life:
- Got lost for the first time on a bike ride in Madison because a road was closed for construction. Ended up in the closest thing to the 'projects' in town. I coudn't find my way out of town for a few hours, I was pretty mad by that time, and ended up doing an adapted version of intervals through the 'hood' instead of on the route that I was looking forward to checking out. Oh well. Finally found a bike trail that I could take back to my house. side note: I am hopefully going to check out that route tomorrow.

- Got to check out 'the terrace' on lake Mendota and see what the fuss is about. Pretty fun place.

- Get well wishes for my friend Sara who came down with an MRSA infection. She is almost all better now, but still pretty scary for being a healthy, fit twentysomething. I guess moral of the story is it can happen to anyone.

- Planted some petunias in my yard today and also weeded and mowed. My yard looks awesome!

- Rode my bike over to 'concerts on the square' tonight to meet up with some friends, and meet some new ones. Pretty fun times!

- Fired up my new grill Monday- chili lime chicken burgers with grilled pineapple on grilled wheat bagels (someone forgot the buns at the store...haha) I am getting used to this whole grill thing. Next up was the roasted corn for salads- another success. mmmmm...

No comments: